Medelsheim: This photo is taken from the cemetry in Medelsheim looking down onto the village. The cemetry contains a chapel that dates back to 1767. When the chapel received remains of the Holy Cross from Rome in 1804, 14 statues were created depicting the story of the crucifiction. They are in the little white huts in the photo. The spire in the centre of the village is from the church of Saint Martin, whose histroy goes back to Roman times.
Medelsheim is recognised an official part of the German branch of the Camino de Santiago.
Knight's eye view: It is assumed that Altdahn Castle was originally built in the 13th century. However, since then it has been destroyed several times through war, fire and subsidence. It last functioned in a military fashion in the Nine Years' War, when it was eventually destroyed by the French General Mélac in 1689. In 1820, much of the ruins fell away as part of the cliff broke off. Since 1877, there have been intermittent attempts to restore it to its former glory.
Schwarzenberg shadow: Not the most elegant building in Saarbrücken, but it does a fine job in providing spectacular views over the woods and the city. The fount of internet knowledge tells us that the tower was erected in 1930 and renovated in 1984. It is 46 metres above the ground and 416 metres above sea level.